Saturday, October 31, 2009

Columbus Day at the Shore, Take II

Some folks commented on my last post, which mentioned Springer's ice cream shop in Stone Harbor, NJ. Here's what it looked like on October 12, 2009: For some reason, my most lasting memory of Springer's involves eating ice cream cones with my parents and my two brothers in the parking lot one balmy evening in around 1954 or '55. I was partial to coffee ice cream then (still am), and my brothers and I were competing to see who could make his cone last the longest. I finished my ice cream through the pointy end of the cone, because it had been reduced to soup, but I won the first and last Page Family Ice Cream Cone Endurance Olympics. After that contest, the event was scratched as too foolish even for us. Here's another Stone Harbor landmark. I've never been in the place, but its logo appeared on T-shirts all over the world (slight exaggeration here, folks) for a few years in the decade of the 1990s: After we'd satisfied the urge to make sure the town of Stone Harbor was essentially just the way we left it last year, we drove down to the southern end of Seven Mile Beach, where the old Coast Guard lifesaving station still stands. Back in my boyhood, it stood in solitary splendor among the sand dunes; today, you'd miss it altogether unless you were specifically looking for it, because it's surrounded by residential properties and serves only as a point of historic interest. But we wandered on down to the ocean, pausing for a self-portrait at the beach access ramp. Cute couple, eh? Ah, so. Next time we'll pop up somewhere else. Until then, blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered where Fred's was located. Thanks for the tip. I also have seen those shirts for years. May have to stop in some time!

Jim