Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Spring Frolic

It was a lovely day in late March; the sun shone and the crocuses bloomed. A young nanny goat frolicked in the sunshine. The scene charmed me so, I didn't notice at first that the little goat was missing a hind leg. The occasion was a visit to a veterinary clinic near where I live. The vet tech supervising the goat told me her name is Peggy. She lost her left rear leg because of severe infection from a dog bite Peggy's former owners had left untreated for too long. I knelt down and Peggy danced right up to me, pooped on my shoe and butted my chin gently. Those little nanny goat horns gave a certain amount of emphatic authority to that butt, however gentle. Goat poop isn't a serious problem. "Broom and dustpan is all you need," the tech told me. Lost leg notwithstanding, Peggy pranced about as happily as any four-legged goat on that smiling spring morning. So, whatever YOUR troubles may be (and may they be from few to none), happy first day of spring!

No comments: