Sunday, May 31, 2009

First Pennsylvania Home

Here's a shot of our family's first home in Pennsylvania, just after we moved from Detroit to West Conshohocken in 1949. I was four years old, and my two brothers had not yet been born -- although they came along pretty quickly after we got settled. The place was called "Stoney Creek Farm," and it was on River Road. That road is no more, having been superseded by the Schuylkill Expressway over the next several years; this was the prime reason we moved away from Stoney Creek Farm. If you're ever driving east on the Schuylkill Expressway (toward Philadelphia, for the compass-challenged), if you look to your right just before you come to the Conshohocken Curve, you can see this house nestled in the woods and overgrowth directly across the river from the old Lee Tire plant. So what, you say? I don't know. Maybe I'm getting to that age where my nostalgia becomes everyone else's burden.

No comments: