Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Famous Virginia Beach Daisy Chain

Maybe someday I'll get tired of telling tall tales about my Navy days, but not yet. I'm sure you'll get tired of it before I do. Anyway, during the winter of 1968-1969, while our ship was in drydock for a major overhaul, four of my fellow junior officers and I rented a quaint little house in Virginia Beach, from a sweet little old lady who I'm sure lived to regret her decision to lease the place to us. To keep a rough tally of beers consumed on the premises, we made a daisy chain out of our aluminum pop-tops (remember those?), and placed the end in the flower basket of the rosy-cheeked young lass in the picture, who occupied the living-room mantel along with other bits of bric-a-brac. By the end of the winter, that chain circled the living room and was starting to creep up to the second floor. I'm surprised our landlady didn't see to it we were court-martialed.

No comments: